About Queenan Family Medicine & Maternity Care
Queenan Family Medicine and Maternity Care is a solo-doctor full spectrum family practice, providing primary care for all ages (including primary gynecologic care) and maternity care (prenatal, delivery, and post-partum care).
Integrative Holistic Family Medicine
The care provided at Queenan Family Medicine and Maternity Care is informed by both my training in conventional family medicine and integrative holistic medicine. This training, along with the Ideal Medical Practice micropractice model, allows me to create a practice that aims to be a peaceful safe haven, where patients feel respected and cared for with an open mind and non-judgment. This practice is built on the understanding that true healing is not merely the treatment of bodily dysfunction, but rather the cultivation of optimal health of body, mind, and spirit. Finally, this practice is also purposefully designed to support my mindful presence, so that patients feel heard and understood; distractions will be kept to a minimum in order to focus on the patient in the moment.
Ideal Medical Practices (IMPs)
This practice is part of the Ideal Medical Practices (IMPs) project, an exciting community of doctors throughout the United States who have joined together in an effort to transform the way that they are delivering primary care; together, they are working to support the development of practices that deliver ideal care for patients in a balanced, ethical, and sustainable way. They do this by focusing on the pillars of effective primary care: excellent access and efficiency (patients can say “I can get care when and how I need it”), relationship over time (patients can say “I have a PCP who knows me as a person”), comprehensive services (patients can say “My PCP takes care of the bulk of their health care needs), and care coordination (patients can say, “My PCP coordinates any and all care I need.”). What does this mean practically for the patients of Queenan Family Medicine and Maternity Care?
Access and Efficiency:
- You will be able to get the health care you want and need when you want and need it. This may mean an office visit scheduled the same day you request it, an office visit scheduled in advance, a home visit, or a virtual visit by telephone or internet.
- Existing patients may schedule their own appointments on-line.
- You will have direct access to your doctor via cell phone, e-mail, and voice-mail.
- Your time is respected and will not be wasted waiting in the waiting room or exam room. Though allowances may need to be made for rare emergencies, you will be seen when your appointment is actually scheduled, not minutes or hours later.
Relationship Over Time:
- When you come to office for care, you will always see your own doctor.
- With rare exception, when you call for off-hours emergencies, you will speak with your own doctor, not a faceless provider whom you’ve never met or a nurse answering service.
“Comprehensive services” means that the practice will work with you to meet the bulk of your health care needs, not only by directly providing services within the practice, but also by collaborating with medical specialists, mental health providers, and integrative colleagues to provide you truly comprehensive care addressing whole body, mind, and spirit.
We know that individuals who can identify one provider who coordinates their health care receive better care and experience more positive health outcomes, in comparison to those whose care is fragmented care between disconnected specialists. For this reason, you will be able to count on Dr. Queenan to be the captain of your health care team.
For more information, including recent articles in the national press about the IMPs project, please see www.impcenter.org.
Most of the physicians in the IMPs project have adopted the practice model of small low-overhead "micropractices," because they've found that this type of practice allows them to create the breathing room critical to make practice changes to achieve excellent care. Unlike the high-volume flow that is typical of many office practices, my low-overhead allows me to see fewer patients a day and thus take the time needed to truly address my patients’ healthcare needs and concerns.